Chunky Strawberry Granola
Making granola is a great way to have some fun in the kitchen, get creative and save some monaaaay honaaaay! It's so simple, you'll be bummed you haven't made it sooner.
The star of the show for this granola are the freeze dried strawberries. Freeze drying locks in the nutrients, so you aren't losing out on anything! High in fiber, vitamins and a true healthy shelf stable snack. The strawberry makes the granola more exciting to look at and eat. You can play around here with any freeze dried or dehydrated fruit. But, we are all about the strawberry over here for the month of May. And, trust me, it's worth it.
Basically, this is a dump and bake recipe. You add oats, nuts and coconut flakes to a bowl. Heat coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla and pour it over the oats. Mix & dump onto a cookie sheet and bake. Add the strawberries after it's baked. Simple as that!
Alriiiightttt - here's your recipe
2 cups rolled oats, can be gluten free
1 cup coconut flakes, I use the thick cut ones
1/2 cup nuts, your choice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup maple syrup, honey or agave
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1.2 ounces freeze dried strawberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, coconut, nuts and salt.
2. In a pot over low heat, add coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla until melted. This should only take a couple of minutes. Take off the heat and add to the oats mixture. Mix and make sure everything is evenly coated.
3. Add the mixture to a cookie sheet. To get chunky pieces, be sure your spread your mixture evenly and press into the cookie sheet so the mixture is one compact mass.
4. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Do not mix while baking! Once golden brown and fragrant, take out and let cool. Add freeze dried strawberries while cooling. You can even throw the whole cookie sheet into the freezer to cool it quickly and get it extra chunky.
5. Once cooled, break apart into chunks. Enjoy over yogurt, oatmeal or with milk for a delicious granola cereal! Or, as a perfect snack!